Garden design for The Withens Nursing Home, Ranc Care Homes, Southfleet.
October 2016 and continuing to the present.
The brief was “to design a garden of Eden” for older people who are in care. This large garden had a lot of potential but in Oct 2016, looked very neglected; no blooms at all in the front garden. With a little TLC now there is colour all year; wildlife thrives – we have resident ducks and pheasants, Orange Tip and Brimstone butterflies. Residents and their families, as well as staff, enjoy the garden to the full.
The garden design included:
- The transformation at the front of the home from a lawn to a very lovely space, with a garden with cut flowers for indoors and cheerful colour through the windows for residents.
- The back garden was a large expanse with ancient horse chestnut trees, also beech and a variety of other native trees and residents overlooked a neglected lawn and one flower bed which bloomed in early spring. Here I created:
- new flower beds everywhere.
- A kitchen garden with herbs, salad and in summer,tomatoes and other seasonal vegetables like cucumber, squash and courgette.
- a flower garden in the shady area favoured by the pheasants. Bluebells, forget-me-not, shrubs, from upstairs the flowers and trees bring colour and cheer.